UPDATE 5/10: Here are an updated list of school closures and postponements due to heavy rains overnight on Thursday (5/9).
- Alief ISD: Closed Friday
- Aldine ISD: Aldine ISD canceling school on Friday, May 10 due to inclement weather in Houston area
- Alvin ISD: Closed Friday
- Channelview ISD: Closed Friday
- Clear Creak ISD: Closed Friday
- Cleveland ISD: Closed Friday
- Coldspring-Oakhurst CISD: Two-hour delay
- Conroe ISD: Closed Friday
- Crosby ISD: Closed Friday
- Cypress-Fairbanks ISD: Closed Friday
- Dayton ISD: Closed Friday
- Dickinson ISD: Closed Friday
- Fort Bend ISD: Closed Friday
- Friendswood ISD: Closed Friday, despite earlier report saying they would stay open
- Galena Park ISD: Closed Friday
- Goodrich ISD: Closed Friday
- Goose Creek CISD: Closed Friday
- Hardin ISD: Closed Friday
- Harmony Public Schools: Closed Friday
- Hempstead ISD: Closed Friday
- Houston Community College: Closed Friday though the weekend. Graduation postponed to 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Friday, May 17 at NRG Stadium
- Houston ISD: All HISD schools and offices are closed today (Friday, 5/10) due to inclement weather. Schools and offices will resume normal schedules on Monday, 5/13.
- Hull-Daisetta ISD: Closed Friday
- Humble ISD: Closed Friday
- Katy ISD: Closed Friday
- KIPP Houston: Closed Friday
- Klein ISD: Closed Friday
- Lamar Consolidated ISD: Closed Friday
- Liberty ISD: Closed Friday
- LSC-Kingwood, Atascocita Center & Process Tech Center will delay open on Friday until 10 a.m. All other LSC campuses will open at normal time.
- Magnolia ISD: Closed Friday
- Montgomery ISD: Closed Friday
- Needville ISD: Closed Friday
- New Caney ISD: Closed Friday. State and AP testing will be rescheduled for next week.
- Pasadena ISD: Closed Friday
- Pearland ISD: Closed Friday
- Prairie View A&M University: Closed Friday and Saturday commencement exercises relocated to William “Billy” J. Hicks Jr Buildin (Baby Dome) at 1 p.m. Saturday. More here.
- Royal ISD: Closed Friday
- San Jacinto College: Saturday night’s commencement ceremony has been postponed to 7 p.m. Friday, May 17 at NRG Stadium
- Santa Fe ISD: Closed Friday
- Sheldon ISD: Closed Friday
- Shepherd ISD: 2-hour delay
- Splendora ISD: Closed Friday
- Spring ISD: Closed Friday
- Spring Branch ISD: Closed Friday
- St. Francis Episcopal School: Closed Friday
- St. Mark’s Episcopal School on Bellaire: Closed Friday
- Tarkington ISD: Closed Friday
- Texas City ISD: Closed Friday
- Tomball ISD: Closed Friday
- University of Houston, including Sugar Land, Clear Lake, Pearland and TMC campuses: Closed Friday and Saturday, commencement ceremonies postponed
- University of Houston-Downtown: Closed Friday and Saturday
- University of St. Thomas: Closed Friday
- Waller ISD: Closed Friday
- Wharton County Junior College: Closed until Monday, May 13
- Willis ISD: Closed Friday
Current high water marks in Houston include:
HOUSTON HIGH WATER LOCATIONS:
- Northbound ramp from 610 to SH 288 closed and completely under water, according to Houston Police
- Holmes Road between Highway 90 (South Main Street) and Kirby is impassable
- High water at I-10 at Wayside in both directions; Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez says about 30 to 40 people are stranded there
- Tree blocking intersection of Rocky Woods and Maple Park in Kingwood
- Eastex Freeway service road between East Mt Houston and Little York
- Airport between Telephone Road and Broadway
- Westbound 610 Loop feeder at Mykawa
- Mykawa between Dixie and Interstate Highway 610
- Wayside between Dixie and Interstate Highway 610
- Cullen at Almeda Genoa
- Scott Street at Interstate Highway 610
- I-10 East Freeway at Magnolia: all main lanes underwater
- Holmes Road and Fannin Street
- Feeder road inbound 290 at Huffmeister
- Briar Forest between Eldridge & Highway 6
- 1000 block of Hammerly
- 11900 block of North Fairhollow
- 1500 block of Blalock
- 2200 Ojeman
- Hamblen Road between Northshore and Fawn Trace in Kingwood
- 7400 North Shepherd
- Kuykendahl Road at Cypresswood Road
- N. Houston Rosslyn at Breen Drive
- West Gulf Bank at West Mount Houston
- 6800 Cypresswood Drive
- Chappel Knoll at Mason Road
- 14200 Owens Road
- I-45 North at Cypresswood exit ramp
- 590 West Little York Road at Stuebner Airline Road
- Paradise Valley at Champion Forest
- Cypresswood at Kuykendahl
- 20099 Morton Road/Fry Road
- FM 1960 at Champion Forest Drive
- West Montgomery Road
- East Cypresswood Drive at Lexington
- 8400 Antoine Road
- Old Cypresswood at Aldine Westfield
- West Montgomery Road at West Gulf Bank to West Mount Houston
- I-45 North Freeway feeder at West Road to Parker Road
- Bauer Hockley at Bauer
- Hunters Creek at FM 2920
- FM 2920 at Bauer
- Beltway 8 at Clay
- North Beltway 8 at Aldine Westfield
- North Freeway southbound feeder at Richey Road
- I-10 at McCarty feeder
- Kingwood Drive at Royal Forest
- KIngwood Drive at Loop 494
- 3200 block of Cedar Knoll
- 3200 West Lake Houston Pkwy southbound
- Tree is in the road in the 900 block of St. Andrews
- Downed power lines have closed two intersections: East Houston at Ley Road and East Little York at Mesa Drive
- Spring Cypress and Skinner
- A downed tree is blocking Kingwood Drive westbound between Forest Garden and Kings Crossing, per HPD
- East Sam Houston Parkway South between I-45 and Highway 225
- Audrey at Woodforest
- Woodforest between Barbara Mae and Uvalde
- Woodforest and Uvalde
- 17899 Bauer at Bauer Hockley Road
- 59 Eastex under Beltway 8
- Southbound lanes of Beltway 8 exit ramp at Wallisville Road
UPDATE 5/9: New Caney ISD to remain closed for the remainder of the week due to heavy rains and flooding. State and AP testing will be rescheduled next week.
Fort Bend ISD has canceled classes Thursday at First Colony Middle School, Settlers Way Elementary School, Colony Bend Elementary School and Austin Parkway Elementary School.
Sheldon ISD has canceled all after-school activities.
ORIGINAL STORY (May 8): The May 7 severe weather has caused a slew of Houston area schools to be closed tomorrow (May 8).
New Caney ISD has already informed students that classes will be canceled after high water kept students on campus late into Tuesday afternoon. Same for Cleveland ISD. Huffman ISD is also closed as is Splendora ISD. Lone Star College (Kingwood) is closed until 10:30 a.m.
Fort Bend ISD is to have a two-hour delay on classes due to the heavy rains and flooding.
The high water kept kids on campus at several Houston area schools in the Humble ISD area. Kingwood Park High School, Kingwood Middle, Woodland Hills Elementary, Foster Elementary and Elm Grove Elementary all reported that students were being served meals as the weather and heavy rains forced them to remain on campus.
The Red Cross has opened up two shelters for those in New Caney and Kingwood affected by the flooding.
First Baptist Church-Kingwood
3500 Woodland Hills Dr., Kingwood, Texas 77339
Houston search and rescue teams are taking clients to this location.
Bull Sallas Park
21679 McCleskey Rd., New Caney, Texas 77357
The Red Cross is supporting the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management Evacuation Shelter at Bull Sallas Park in New Caney. The shelter will be open until 10 p.m. Tuesday
Additionally Fort Bend residents trying to get home are being urged to use the toll roads as they have been WAIVED per a Fort Bend County judge. The Fort Bend Parkway, Westpark Toll Road in Fort Bend County, and the Grand Parkway in Fort Bend County are all part of the system where tolls have been waived.
Flash flood warnings are currently in place until 1:30 a.m. for Austin, Brazoria, Colorado, Fort Bend, Harris and Wharton counties.
We’ll be updating the school closure list as more information becomes available.
RELATED: What to Do if Your Car is Flooded
Severe Weather Update: School Closures, Delays, Flood Alerts & More was originally published on myhoustonmajic.hellobeautiful.com