This will leave you speechless… or, depending on your temperament, riddled with anger.
Trinecia Blacklock, a fifth-grader at Houston’s Link Elementary School who uses a wheelchair to get around, was completely overlooked at her own graduation last week. Though her classmates’ names were all called so they could march across stage, Trinecia was totally left out.
CBS News spoke to the young girl and her family about the heartbreaking incident:
“They closed up the ceremony and then forgot to call my name,” said Blacklock. Her mom, Tonisha McCowan, said they only remembered to do so when she prompted them. “How they missed her sitting there by herself down there in a wheelchair, I don’t know,” said McCowan. Even if they had remembered to call her in time, Blacklock said she wouldn’t have been able to fully take part.
“I wish I would have gone across the stage, but they have no ramp, nothing but stairs,” said Blacklock.
The school apologized and promised to review its graduation procedures, but as you can imagine, it’s too little and too late.
While Blacklock has her certificate, and her family bought her a cake to celebrate, the joys of the day were dimmed, her mom said. “It was just all very humiliating,” said McCowan. “Her joy from that day was stripped from right under her.”
In a statement, school administrators said they offered Blacklock and her family an apology, and that they plan on reviewing graduation procedures.
“Although the school had good intentions in acknowledging the student’s academic achievement, accommodations should have been made so the student could fully participate in the program or the program should have been adjusted,” the statement read.
With no ramp or way for Trinecia to grace the stage, it seems as though the elementary school never planned on accommodating her in the first place. Watch the video above for more details and join us in congratulating the young scholar on her academic success.
SOURCE: CBS News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
The Funniest Pics Of Celeb Kids (PHOTOS)
1. Swizz Beatz and Mashonda's son Kasseem stunting just like his daddy in this Instagtam flick.1 of 24
2. Tyga and Blac Chyna's son King Cairo is adorable as he says his goodnight prayers.2 of 24
3. Looks like Penelope Disick took a page from her parents Kourtney and Scott's fashion book.3 of 24
4. Sleepovers are always better with your sibling. How cute are Madonna's kids!?4 of 24
5. Baby Lorenzo is definitely in dream land as his mom gazes at him.5 of 24
6. Snooki's little Lorenzo is already on the phone handling his business.6 of 24
7. Jessica Simpson's son Ace and Cacee Cobb's son Rocco are having infant talk in this black and white photo.7 of 24
8. Not to be left out, Jessica Simpson's daughter Maxwell steals our hearts with her innocent 'deer in headlights' look.8 of 24
9. Maxwell already has the boys swooning over her.9 of 24
10. Ace and Maxwell get a lift from dad Eric Johnson.10 of 24
11. Wiz Khalifa listens to baby Bash's cute little rants.11 of 24
12. Diddy's daughter Chance is already a beauty and she's not even 10. She rocked a backward fitted for the 'gram.12 of 24
13. The Adorable Diddy Bunch looks like a TV family.13 of 24
14. Carmelo and La La Anthony's little Kiyan looks like a little angel in disguise.14 of 24
15. The Game's little ones are a spitting image of their dad! Little Cali is definitely a heartbreaker in the making.15 of 24
16. Speaking of Cali, she must think she's able to fit into her dad's shoes.16 of 24
17. Young Justice's smile is made for any kid commercial. The Game must be proud.17 of 24
18. Little Lil Wayne is beyond precious, wishing us nothing but peace.18 of 24
19. Stevie J and Mimi Faust's daughter Eva can be the poster child for adorably funny kids.19 of 24
20. Monica's son Romelo and Tiny's son Major are the coolest classmates we've ever seen.20 of 24
21. Major and Romelo rocking red ties and posted up on the fire truck.21 of 24
22. Monica and Shannon Brown's new daughter Layah is already super cute and super alert.22 of 24
23. Kristin Cavallari's son Camden is all smiles while waiting for lunch time.23 of 24
24. Hilary Duff's son Luca is posted like the young boss he is.24 of 24
Wheelchair-Bound Fifth-Grader Left Out Of Graduation Ceremony After School Forgets To Call Her Name was originally published on globalgrind.com