21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof walked into Emanuel AME Church, sat down for service for an hour before proclaiming he was there to “kill Black people” and then proceeded to do so. Roof killed nine people and has been caught! Here’s what we know!
CNN and the Charlotte Observer reports that Dylann Roof, the suspect in the fatal shooting at a Charleston church, was caught in Shelby, North Carolina. The FBI has confirmed to CNN that Roof is in custody.
The shooting occurred about 9 p.m. at Mother Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston. Roof opened fire on members of the church inside the church, killing nine people.
The victims included state Sen. Clementa Pinkney, also the church’s pastor. Former N.C. state Sen. Malcolm Graham is concerned that his sister was inside the church when the shooting occurred. Graham had been unable to reach his sister and told the Charlotte Observer that he was headed to Charleston.
Here’s details about Roof:
1. He is from Lexington, South Carolina.
2. He was arrested on April 26, 2015 on a trespassing charge and at the time of the massacre, was awaiting moderation.
3. His above Facebook profile photo shows him wearing a jacket that has flags of apartheid-era South Africa and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe).
4. According to police, Roof escaped in a black Hyundai with the license plate LGF 300.
5. Roof told the one victim he allowed to live that he had to do it. The survivor said that Roof said, “You rape our women and you’re taking over the country. You have to go.”