John Russell Houser was not mentally well for over a decade, but that didn’t stop him from being able to purchase the gun he used to shoot 11 people at a Lafayette movie theater on Thursday.
Back in 2008, a Georgia judge ruled that Houser was a danger to himself and others, before ordering that he take part in mental health treatment. Still, six years later, Houser was able to walk into a pawn shop and buy a .40-caliber handgun.
According to Fox News:
Court records reviewed by The Associated Press strongly suggest Houser should have been reported to the state and federal databases used to keep people with serious mental illnesses from buying firearms, legal experts said.
“It sure does seem like something failed,” said Judge Susan Tate, who presides over a probate court in Athens, Georgia, and has studied issues relating to weapons and the mentally ill. “I have no idea how he was able to get a firearm.”
After passing a background check, Houser was able to make the purchase:
Houser racked up plenty of complaints, but no evidence has surfaced of any criminal conviction that would have kept him from passing the background check required for many gun purchases. Federal law does generally prohibit the purchase or possession of a firearm by anyone who has ever been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment.
We are keeping the victims of this horrific tragedy and their loved ones in our prayers.
SOURCE: Fox News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Michelle Obama Takes Europe In Style With Malia & Sasha
1. Michelle Obama arrives in Europe wearing a blue and yellow frock.Source:Getty 1 of 12
2. First stop: London.Source:Getty 2 of 12
3. Mrs. Obama's not a regular mom. She's a cool mom.Source:Getty 3 of 12
4. Concrete catwalk.Source:Getty 4 of 12
5. All grown up.Source:Getty 5 of 12
6. Michelle Obama paid a visit to an expectant mother at the U.S. and Nato military base.Source:Getty 6 of 12
7. The Obama girls wore flats and Malia covered up with a denim jacket while sight-seeing in Venice.Source:Getty 7 of 12
8. The First Lady attends a Q&A with college students. But our only question: where's the dress from?Source:Getty 8 of 12
9. Departing Venice.Source:Getty 9 of 12
10. Malia Obama goes for red while walking in London.Source:Getty 10 of 12
11. We could all use some fashion advice from the First Lady.Source:Getty 11 of 12
12. Because VIP boat rides in Venice are chic, too.Source:Getty 12 of 12
Louisiana Movie Theater Shooter Suffered From Mental Health Issues For Over A Decade was originally published on globalgrind.com