Born Lesane Parish Crooks in Harlem, New York, Tupac Amaru Shakur wasn’t 2Pacs birth name – and he wasn’t born on the West Coast. These are the two opening facts you might not know about 2Pac that we will share with you on what would of been his 44th birthday today.
- 2Pac’s mother, Afeni Shakur, changed his named to Tupac Amaru II, after the South American revolutionary of the same name.
- Afeni Shakur was an active member of the Black Panther party. Tupac Shakur was born one month and three days after Afeni had been acquitted of charges of “Conspiracy against the United States government and New York landmarks.”
- When he was 13, he played Travis Younger in A Raisin in the Sun, which was performed at the Apollo Theater in Harlem to raise funds for Jessie Jackson’s presidential campaign.
- He attended Baltimore School for the Arts, where he took ballet classes. He also played the role of The Mouse King in the Nutcracker.
- Shakur first started rapping in Baltimore, going by the name MC New York.
- Shakur, under his new stage name Makaveli, completed The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory in seven days, using three days to write and record the songs and four days to mix the album
- Shakur was supposed to play a lead role in Menace II Society, but after an altercation with co-director Allen Hughes, he was replaced with Larenz Tate.
- According to Shakur, while filming Poetic Justice, he was asked to take an HIV test before he could film a love scene with Janet Jackson.
- Me Against the World hit number one on the Billboard 200, making Shakur the first artist to accomplish this feat while serving a prison sentence
- Shakur shot two off-duty police officers. However, charges were dropped when it was discovered that the officers were drunk, in possession of stolen weapons, and lied to police officers.
Today we salute and wish one of the greatest of all time a Happy Birthday. Here’s to you Pac!