Just days after the Spring Valley High assault, another school official has been caught on tape getting violent with a student.
An Oklahoma City school resource officer was charged with assault on Wednesday after allegedly punching a student over a hall pass dispute. The incident occurred at U.S. Grant High School on Oct. 9, and the surveillance footage shows MSgt. Thomas Jaha confronting the student at a water fountain in the hallway. As the student appears to walk away, Thomas follows him. When the teen declines to show him a hall pass, the situation escalates.
The NY Daily News reports:
The teen took “an aggressive stance” toward the officer, police said. Jaha responded by punching the boy in the face, out of self-defense, cops said. The 25-year veteran officer struck him one more time across the face before arresting him for disorderly conduct, according to police reports.
After reviewing the surveillance footage, the Oklahoma County district attorney charged Thomas Jaha with assault and battery, and he has since been placed on administrative leave, cops said.
Police believe the officer went overboard, and the situation was uncalled for.
“Although officers have the right to defend themselves… in this particular case, the force was not appropriate to the incident,” police captain Paco Balderrama said.
The victim was brought to a hospital to be treated for his injuries. According to KFOR, the family has also hired a lawyer.
Thousands Protest During #MillionsMarchNYC Against Police Brutality
1. Thousands march together on their way to the NYPD headquarters.1 of 17
2. Thousands gather near the NYPD headquarters.2 of 17
3. A protester holds up a sign to stop police brutality.3 of 17
4. Kevin Liles, Russell Simmons, and Nas help lead the march in NYC.4 of 17
5. Protestors march up 5th Avenue.5 of 17
6. Thousands gather in Washington Square Park before marching uptown.6 of 17
7. Protestors lead by holding up a 'Black Lives Matter' banner.7 of 17
8. Picketed versions of the victims of police brutality are held up during the march.8 of 17
9. The Brooklyn Bridge gets shut down by protestors.9 of 17
10. A protestor holds up a focused 'We Demand Justice' sign10 of 17
11. Santa Con participants face the interrupting protests happening through the streets.11 of 17
12. An artist participates in the protest through creative expression.12 of 17
13. Thousands of different ethnicities and ages come together for the protests.13 of 17
14. Thousands gather in Washington Square Park before the march.14 of 17
15. A protestor marches while in chains.15 of 17
16. Thousands march up 5th Avenue.16 of 17
17. Thousands march up 5th Avenue towards Union Square.17 of 17
Oklahoma City School Resource Officer Charged After Punching Student Over Hall Pass was originally published on globalgrind.com