Oh my goodness! This season’s line up of premieres is “Scandal-ous” and I have no idea “How I’m Going To Get Away With…” watching this much television, and keeping my waistline snatched. So while I would rather get down like Olivia Pope and watch this season’s #TGIT line up with a glass of red wine and some air popped popcorn, I am determined to stay on my FitGirl workout flow. So join me beauties, and let’s turn our living rooms into healthy sweating rooms with these seven easy tips.
1) Make Dinner Special
Notice how although you already ate dinner, you can’t stop thinking about Doritos and Pepsi during commercial breaks? Well it’s because marketing works and those fast food flashing commercials whipping across your screen every seven minutes are very intentional. We all fall prey to this beauties, so in order to combat those crazy impulses to run downstairs and raid the corner store, I suggest making dinner so memorable that savory ads wont even stand a chance. By creating a relaxing and pleasurable ambiance during dinner time (sans television), you will not only enjoy your meal much more, but separating your chewing from your viewing pleasure instantly becomes 10 times easier.
2) Fine, Have Some Wine
Just because Liv is drinking a bottle of red a night on your TV screen doesn’t mean you have to join her. Ok fine, break out the Pinot Noir. But here’s the deal – make it a one glass limit treat. Red wine has many health benefits (in moderation) so sip don’t gulp in between commercial breaks. Watching the entire #TGIT line up starting with “Grey’s Anatomy?” Commit to sweating the first hour (check out my Couch Potato workout for tips on how), rehydrate with a few glasses of water the next hour, and then, if you’re still craving that glass of vino, pour yourself a glass. No judgement.
3) Sweat During Commercials
Try my Couch Potato workout, even if you binge watch TV with your DVR, getting a serious burn in is totally an option too. I created this no equipment needed workout just for you beauties, so instead of fast forwarding over those commercials let’s move fast instead. These quick and dynamic exercises will not only get your heart rate up in a major way but are also perfect for any level of fitness you may be currently in. So ready, set, let’s sweat.
4) Watch And Sweat
If you’re anything like me then your mouth was wide open during the series premiere of “How To Get Away With Murder.” So intense and jaw dropping right? Well how about you throw an intense sweat sesh into the mix too. Watching your favorite shows while sweating is a great way to get some cardio in. If your gym has TVs, hop on that treadmill or elliptical and stay on from start to finish. That’s one hour that is guaranteed to fly by. Want to up the ante and really go for a burn? Add some intervals by either increasing your speed and/or resistance during commercial breaks. Holla!
5) Stand Up And Watch
Don’t feel like showing your muscles some love during your favorite shows? Fine. You can still break up that sedentary action by standing. The body burns more calories when standing upright, so sneak in a teeny bit of fitness by ironing or folding laundry during your prime-time viewing pleasure. Not only will your body thank you, but your to do list will too! I see you multitasking momma.
6) Stretch Your Body
Nothing says time to wind down better than flopping on the couch and staring into your tube right? But why not pair this mindless behavior with another relaxing regimen like yoga? Stretching and yoga postures are great physical options during your TV time simply because it allows you to focus on being still and holding a posture or stretch (sans boredom). The recommended time to hold stretches is at least 30 seconds which is also the average time of a commercial. So roll out your mat, ditch the remote and stretch your body while you tune out (or in).
7) Be A Couch Potato Cutie
Last little trick I have girls is the power of dressing the part. When my motivation is super low I swap my loungewear and pajamas for some comfy (and cute) fit gear. It still feels like I’m in my PJ’s however whenever I look down in between programs my fun fitness attire serves as a reminder that I should get up and move. I love the affordable and adorable options over at Target via their C9 by Champion® line, so don’t be surprised if I invite you over for a #TGIT party and I’m rocking their C9 by Champion® Women’s Seamless Cami Sports Bra along with the Women’s Leopard Leggings. No worries, you can copy my style – check out my look out here.
Robbie Ann Darby (RAD Experience) is a professional FitGirl, Group Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer in NYC. Follow her sweaty life on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more fun health and fitness tips!
Check Out This Gallery Of The Best Celeb Workouts On Instagram:
Celebrity Fit Club: Our Favorite Stars Share Their Workout Regimen On Instagram
1. Celebrity Fit Club1 of 47
2. Morris Chestnut- On The Treadmill2 of 47
3. Usher-Run It3 of 47
4. Angela Simmons-Simple & Effective4 of 47
5. Angela Simmons-Go Deeper!5 of 47
6. Angela Simmons-Can't Stop, Won't Stop6 of 47
7. Angela Simmons-It's A Lifestyle7 of 47
8. Angela Simmons-Determination Is Key8 of 47
9. Angela Simmons-No Days Off9 of 47
10. Angela Simmons-Morning Training Sessions10 of 47
11. Angela Simmons-Live Life Out Loud11 of 47
12. Angela Simmons-Pose For The Camera12 of 47
13. Angela Simmons-Bend & Stretch13 of 47
14. Angela Simmons-Ready For Her Close Up14 of 47
15. Jordin Sparks-The Fit Selfie15 of 47
16. Jordin Sparks-Engages Her Core16 of 47
17. Jordin Sparks-Getting It Right & Tight17 of 47
18. Jordin Sparks-Gaining Weight18 of 47
19. Jason Derulo-Shooting In The Gym19 of 47
20. Jason Derulo-No Gym, No Problem20 of 47
21. Mo'Nique-Always Motivating21 of 47
22. Mo'Nique-Workin' Those Arms22 of 47
23. Mo'Nique-Keeping It Real, Keeping It Tight23 of 47
24. Mo'Nique-Makes Us Remember To Work For It24 of 47
25. Mo'Nique-Never Gives Up25 of 47
26. Mo'Nique-Showing Off What Amazing Looks Like26 of 47
27. Keri Hilson-Takin' The Stairs27 of 47
28. Brandy-Getting It In!28 of 47
29. Brandy-Making Transformations29 of 47
30. Jeanette Jenkins-She Is The Prototype30 of 47
31. Jeanette Jenkins-She Plans Ahead To Get Ahead31 of 47
32. Jeanette Jenkins-Flexible On Fridays32 of 47
33. Jeanette Jenkins-Fit Foodie33 of 47
34. Kelly Rowland-She's Got Friends In Fit Places34 of 47
35. Kelly Rowland-Drink Good, Look Good35 of 47
36. Kelly Rowland-Abs For Days36 of 47
37. Serena Williams-She Knows How To Hang37 of 47
38. Mary J. Blige-Her Hubby's Getting It In!38 of 47
39. Mary J. Blige-Throwin' Them Bows!39 of 47
40. Mary J. Blige-Getting Them Glutes!40 of 47
41. Mary J. Blige-Hard Work Pays Off, Look At That Body!41 of 47
42. Mary J. Blige--Work Them Arms Girl!42 of 47
43. Mary J. Blige-She's Got Legs & She Knows How To Use Them43 of 47
44. Michelle Obama-Let's Move!44 of 47
45. Sherri Shepherd-No More Girdles!45 of 47
46. Sherri Shepherd-Dance The Pounds Away46 of 47
47. Khloe Kardashian-She Works Hard Even When She Doesn't Want To47 of 47
How To Get Away With Sweating: Tips For Staying Fit While Watching TV was originally published on hellobeautiful.com