Theatre Under the Stars presents “A Christmas Story: The Musical” at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts.
Holiday meets hilarity in the production of the comedic 1983 adaptation. “A Christmas Story: The Musical” will take the stage from December 8-20, 2015 in Sarofim Hall.
A beloved tradition, TUTS’ annual holiday main-stage production is one of the most highly anticipated shows of the season. The show is a red-blooded, two-fisted all-American Christmas tale, following Ralphie (played by 12-year-old Houstonian Estus Stephens) on his journey to procure the only toy he wants this Christmas – the official Red Ryder BB model air rifle. Combining the humor of pink bunny suits, fishnet-clad fra-GEE-lay lamps with over-the-top tap numbers and on-stage snowfall, quirky innocence and nostalgic warmth mark this holiday classic.
TUTS will offer several special events in conjunction with the production for unforgettable holiday experiences:
- METRO Rail Character Ride: Ralphie and his gang ride the rails in costume from 11:00A – 1:00P, Friday, December 4
- Kids’ Night: TUTS presents a number of pre-show children’s activities in theme with A Christmas Story, on Wednesday, December 9. Theatregoers are also encouraged to bring an (unwrapped) gift to benefit children as part of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Houston
- OUT@TUTS: Houston’s LGBT social theatre group hosts a cabaret-style evening at Artista, with complimentary bites, happy hour drink specials –mingle with cast members and other musical theatre enthusiasts on Thursday, December 10
- Breakfast with Santa: On Saturday, December 12 and December 19 the Downtown Aquarium features a 9:00A breakfast buffet of scrumptious eats, as Scuba Santa spreads holiday cheer. Guests receive an Aquarium day pass featuring rides and attractions along with 10% off tickets to the 2:00P matinee performance of A Christmas Story. Saturday, December 12 and December 19
- “HOL-ALE-DAY” Experience at Karbach Brewery: On Thursday, December 17, enjoy a couple of Houston’s finest craft beers (including the holiday exclusive Yule Shoot Your Eye Out Black Ale), light bites, A Christmas Story trivia, along with photo opportunities and two actual Red Ryder BB target shoots (yes, this is entirely safe and legal). Includes round-trip transport and tickets to the evening performance of A Christmas Story
For more event information, visit TUTS.com/events. Tickets (from $30) are available online at TUTS.com; by phone at (713) 558-TUTS (8887), or (888) 558-3882 or in person at Theatre Under The Stars Box Office, (800 Bagby Street, Houston, TX 77002), Monday-Friday, 10:00A-6:00P; Saturday-Sunday from 11:00A-4:00P.
Special offers for groups of 10 or more are available at (713) 558-8888 or email@example.com.
TUTS’ production of A Christmas Story is made possible by the generosity of Ballard Exploration Company, Inc.
TUTS’ 2015/16 season is generously sponsored by CHI St. Luke’s Health. For all shows, air transportation is provided by United Airlines, the official airline of TUTS. Media sponsors include ABC-13 and Houston Chronicle. Season support is funded in part by grants from the City of Houston through the Theater District Association, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Texas Commission on the Arts.
Visit TUTS.com for more information.
PRINCIPAL CAST BIOGRAPHIES
KEVIN COONEY (Jean Shepherd) recently appeared in with TUTS in roles including the preacher in the TUTS Underground performance of Bonnie & Clyde, as the Mayor in The Music Man, and as the Sheriff in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. He has appeared on Broadway, in national tours and in regional theatre, and has appeared in films include Charlie Wilson’s War, Austin Powers I/II, Legally Blonde, Bring It On Again, Primary Colors, Bulworth, Independence Day and Trip to Bountiful. Television roles have included spots on Mad Men, Desperate Housewives, CSI, Will and Grace, King of Queens, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
SUSAN KOOZIN (Mother) has previously appeared at TUTS with roles in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Hairspray, and The Sound of Music and TUTS Underground performances including Bonnie & Clyde, Hands on a Hard Body. Past stage roles include appearances in Pete ‘n’ Keely, Sexy Laundry, The Great American Trailer Park Musicals, Always Patsy Cline, Steel Magnolias, The Blonde, the Brunette, and the Vengeful Redhead, Grey Gardens, Black Pearl Sings, Nickel and Dimed, Bright Ideas, Dirty Blonde, Company, with Classical Theatre Company in Ubu Roi and with Unity Theatre in Shooting Star.
JOHN SCHERER (The Old Man) starred on Broadway and in the film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s By Jeeves, written and directed by Sir Alan Ayckbourn. He has also appeared on Broadway in LoveMusik directed by the legendary Harold Prince, and opposite Betty Buckley in Sunset Boulevard, and again with Prince in the world premiere of 3hree at the Ahmanson Theater in Los Angeles. He toured nationally in White Christmas, 42nd Street, Cats and Mame and won critical acclaim for his performance as George M at the historic Goodspeed Opera House. Regional credits include the Kennedy Center, Arena Stage, Goodman Theatre, Paper Mill Playhouse and many others. On television he has appeared on The Shield, Crossing Jordan, Law & Order (also CI and SVU), Titus and Guiding Light. He’s thrilled to return to TUTS where he has previous appearances in White Christmas and Mame, starring the late, great Juliet Prowse.
MEGAN SIKORA (Miss Shields) Credits include NY/Broadway: Under My Skin (Nanette), The Nance (standby), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Gloria), How to Succeed (Miss Krumholz), Promises Promises (Turkey Lurkey), Showboat at Carnegie Hall (Ellie), Curtains (Bambi), Wicked, Dracula, Wonderful Town, Thoroughly Modern Millie (Ruth), 42nd Street (Lorraine), Andrew Lippa’s The Wild Party. On the regional stage, she has appeared in Kiss Me Kate, Can Can, Guys & Dolls, Cabaret. TV/Film credits include: The Bleeder, Elementary, Ted 2, Boardwalk Empire.
ESTUS STEPHENS (Ralphie) is excited to be a part of his first show at Theatre Under The Stars in one of his dream roles! He has been in several productions in various Houston theaters, with recent credits including: She Kills Monsters (Orcus),The Lion King (Simba), Addams Family (Pugsley), The Nerd (Thor), Les Miserables (Gavroche), The Little Mermaid (Flounder).
SEAN GRAUL (Randy) is overjoyed to be performing in his first TUTS production. Favorite past roles performed locally include: Shrek (Pinocchio), The Little Mermaid (Sebastian), and Mary Poppins (Michael Banks).
25 Christmas Spirits That Will Deck Your Halls
1. Be A Lush For The HolidaysSource: 1 of 25
2. Pomegranate ProseccoSource: 2 of 25
3. Starry NightSource: 3 of 25
4. Choco-SpressoSource: 4 of 25
5. CAMUS Milk PunchSource: 5 of 25
6. Coco PressSource: 6 of 25
7. Apple Old FashionedSource: 7 of 25
8. Sparkling Ice Spike Cranberry LemonadeSource: 8 of 25
9. Coco Joy Coconut EggnogSource: 9 of 25
10. Light NegroniSource: 10 of 25
11. Voga Italia Pomegranate SparklerSource: 11 of 25
12. Spiced MilkSource: 12 of 25
13. Akira Back Pimm’s RoyaleSource: 13 of 25
14. Sparkling Ice Raspberry ShootersSource: 14 of 25
15. Look Better Naked Margarita by Adam SegerSource: 15 of 25
16. dark-rum-daisy-by-pearcey-proper-6064Source: 16 of 25
17. Calvados RoyalSource: 17 of 25
18. Coco Joy Coconut Cucumber Gin FizzSource: 18 of 25
19. Voga Italia Sparkling Peppermint SwirlSource: 19 of 25
20. Whiskey MuleSource: 20 of 25
21. Berry Merry MistletoeSource: 21 of 25
22. Maple Syrup MartiniSource: 22 of 25
23. Cruzan Snow DaySource: 23 of 25
24. Cruzan Sleigh BellSource: 24 of 25
25. Mexican MuleSource: 25 of 25
“A Christmas Story: The Musical” Hits Houston’s Hobby Center was originally published on theboxhouston.com