Justice is being served in the Spring Valley High assault case. But not like you’d think.
Shakara, the girl who was thrown to the ground by a school resource officer, and Niya Kenny, the student who filmed it, are now in legal trouble. While Officer Ben Fields was promptly fired, the two girls face a misdemeanor charge of disturbing schools. If found guilty, they could face 90 days in jail or be fined up to $1,000.
But on Thursday, several organizations, including ColorOfChange and the Alliance for Educational Justice, submitted a petition calling for the charges against the two teens to be dropped.
“These two young women have suffered enough without the justice system dragging out the process of eliminating these ridiculous charges,” said Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange’s executive director, in a statement.
Dan Johnson, the judicial circuit solicitor in charge of the case, doesn’t want personal bias or feelings to play a role, and would rather follow the letter of the law. Stay tuned.
SOURCE: Huffington Post, Twitter | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform
Thousands Protest During #MillionsMarchNYC Against Police Brutality
1. Thousands march together on their way to the NYPD headquarters.1 of 17
2. Thousands gather near the NYPD headquarters.2 of 17
3. A protester holds up a sign to stop police brutality.3 of 17
4. Kevin Liles, Russell Simmons, and Nas help lead the march in NYC.4 of 17
5. Protestors march up 5th Avenue.5 of 17
6. Thousands gather in Washington Square Park before marching uptown.6 of 17
7. Protestors lead by holding up a 'Black Lives Matter' banner.7 of 17
8. Picketed versions of the victims of police brutality are held up during the march.8 of 17
9. The Brooklyn Bridge gets shut down by protestors.9 of 17
10. A protestor holds up a focused 'We Demand Justice' sign10 of 17
11. Santa Con participants face the interrupting protests happening through the streets.11 of 17
12. An artist participates in the protest through creative expression.12 of 17
13. Thousands of different ethnicities and ages come together for the protests.13 of 17
14. Thousands gather in Washington Square Park before the march.14 of 17
15. A protestor marches while in chains.15 of 17
16. Thousands march up 5th Avenue.16 of 17
17. Thousands march up 5th Avenue towards Union Square.17 of 17
The Girl Who Was Assaulted By A Cop At Spring Valley High Is Now Facing Jail Time was originally published on globalgrind.com