Your apartment or house may burn down if you do not know important information about 9-volt batteries.
This type of battery powers toy cars, smoke detectors, and several household making it a household staple.
What many do not know is if this battery is not disposed or stored properly can be major fire hazards.
“9-volt batteries can be dangerous. The positive and negative posts are close together. If a metal object touches the two posts of a 9-volt battery, it can cause a short circuit. This can make enough heat to start a fire,” said the NFPA.
All 9-volt batteries should be stored and disposed with the positive and negative posts covered.
For more information on how to protect your home against accidental 9-volt battery fires, please visit http://www.nfpa.org.
Take a look at what can happen if you do not take the necessary precautions: