The OJ Simpson story continues to develop.
In a surprising — and fairly recent — series of events, a knife was uncovered on Simpson’s former estate.
The knife, which was initially given to George Maycott, a retired LAPD motor officer, was uncovered almost 14 years ago by a construction worker who was working on the estate at the time.
The former cop’s lawyer Trent Copeland, says the construction worker, “simply told him, ‘I found this knife, we were digging on the property and this is what we found.’ He didn’t tell him where on the property. He didn’t tell him if it was on the perimeter of the property or under a bush.”
What makes the story interesting, however, is that Maycott claims he phoned the LAPD immediately upon receiving the possibly incriminating murder weapon.
Copeland says, “He knew he was making the right call to the right place.”
The lawyer adds Maycott talked to a front desk attendant who put him on hold to speak to a supervisor. After waiting on hold for a while, the attendant told him, “We don’t want to have anything to do with this. O.J. Simpson has been acquitted. There is double jeopardy. Even if that knife had blood all over it there is nothing we can do.”
It wasn’t until Maycott spoke to a police detective friend that he was asked to relinquish the knife. To which Copeland says, “My client voluntarily gave them a knife.”
The knife is currently under investigation, and if proven to the be murder weapon used in the double homicide, it can potentially impact Simpson’s ability to receive parole next year.
However, Simpson’s former lawyer, Alan Dershowitz, says, “It probably will be a false alarm. They probably won’t be able to tie it to the case at all and it will go down as another episode of the 20-year-old saga. But if it does prove to be significant that could be something the public has a right to know. History has its claims.”
SOURCE: PEOPLE | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
40 Photos Of O.J. Simpson & The Key Players In His Murder Trial
1. O.J. seen talking to his lawyers Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, and Robert Kardashian during a trial date.Source:Getty 1 of 28
2. The late Robert Kardashian defends his friend O.J. Simpson in court.Source:Getty 2 of 28
3. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.Source:Getty 3 of 28
4. AI Cowlings, the friend who drove O.J. during his infamous Bronco chase.Source:Getty 4 of 28
5. Judge Lance Ito listens to defense motions to exclude Mark Fuhrman's testimony and the prosecutions' response to retain the information 11 September during a court hearing in the O.J. Simpson murder trail.Source:Getty 5 of 28
6. O.J. x Johnnie Cochran.Source:Getty 6 of 28
7. Deputy District Attorney Chris Darden asks Judge Lance Ito in the O.J.Simpson case 13 January to bar the defense from asking Los Angeles Police detective Mark Fuhrman if he ever uttered a racial epithet.Source:Getty 7 of 28
8. Did O.J. do it?Source:Getty 8 of 28
9. The scene around O.J.'s October 3rd trial date.Source:Getty 9 of 28
10. O.J.'s sister spotted near the crime scene.Source:Getty 10 of 28
11. The infamous Bronco chase.Source:Getty 11 of 28
12. The crowd cheers after hearing the verdict on October 3rd, 1995.Source:Getty 12 of 28
13. A much earlier photo of O.J. and his good friend AI Cowlings, circa 1979.Source:Getty 13 of 28
14. O.J. tries on a glove that was used in the murder of his ex-wife.Source:Getty 14 of 28
15. O.J. Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown in seemingly happier times.Source:Getty 15 of 28
16. Deputy district attorney Marcia Clark is shown during testimony at the preliminary hearings.Source:Getty 16 of 28
17. O.J. Simpson and his kids at Nicole Simpson's funeral.Source:Getty 17 of 28
18. Robert Shapiro reads O.J.'s damning letter to the press.Source:Getty 18 of 28
19. O.J. Simpson with Nicole and the kids during happier times.Source:Getty 19 of 28
20. Johnnie Cochran lays down the law, circa 1995.Source:Getty 20 of 28
21. The Juice at his 1994-1995 murder trial.Source:Getty 21 of 28
22. Robert Kardashian sits through trial.Source:Getty 22 of 28
23. Robert Shapiro x O.J. Simpson.Source:Getty 23 of 28
24. Robert Shapiro in 2015.Source:Getty 24 of 28
25. O.J. Simpson leaving the courthouse after the civil trial that followed his murder trial.Source:Getty 25 of 28
26. O.J. heads to the place he knows best, court.Source:Getty 26 of 28
27. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.Source:Getty 27 of 28
28. O.J. at an evidentiary hearing in 2013.Source:Getty 28 of 28
Cop Who Found Knife On OJ’s Property Says LAPD Wanted Nothing To Do With It was originally published on globalgrind.com