More than 20 years after Michael Jordan‘s dad James was murdered, the alleged killer’s lawyer is trying to get his client out of jail.
Fifty-six-year-old James Jordan was killed during a botched carjacking in 1993 while on his way home from a funeral.
The attorneys of Daniel Green, the alleged murderer, have long argued that he did help dispose of Jordan’s body, but he had nothing to do with the carjacking went awry. They believe that Green’s friend Larry Demery shot and killed Jordan, which would make Green an accessory to the crime, not a murderer.
However, after the killing, the police found the murder weapon— a Smith & Wesson handgun— inside a vacuum cleaner in Green’s bedroom.
Court documents claim new discoveries, including mishandled evidence, a pivotal recanted statement, and plenty of other twists raise questions about Green’s involvement in the murder, notes the Charlotte Observer:
Now, the Durham-based defense team says it has new evidence that challenges major parts of the prosecution’s case, while bolstering their request for a new trial. They claim that misleading testimony and misconduct by the prosecutor and jury helped send Green to prison for a murder he did not commit.
The murder, which occurred just 8 days before James Jordan’s birthday, was also said to have been a major catalyst for Michael Jordan’s first retirement from the NBA. He decided to play baseball because it was his father’s favorite sport. He would eventually return to the hardwood due to the ongoing MLB strike and reassert his position as the greatest basketball player ever.
SOURCE: Charlotte Observer | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
The World's Highest-Paid Athletes
1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.Source:Getty 1 of 20
2. Manny PacquiaoSource:Getty 2 of 20
3. Cristiano RonaldoSource:Getty 3 of 20
4. Lionel MessiSource:Getty 4 of 20
5. Roger FedererSource:Getty 5 of 20
6. LeBron JamesSource:Getty 6 of 20
7. Kevin DurantSource:Getty 7 of 20
8. Phil MickelsonSource:Getty 8 of 20
9. Tiger WoodsSource:Getty 9 of 20
10. Kobe BryantSource:Splash News 10 of 20
11. Ben RoethlisbergerSource:Getty 11 of 20
12. Rory McIlroySource:Getty 12 of 20
13. Novak DjokovicSource:Getty 13 of 20
14. Zlatan IbrahimovicSource:Getty 14 of 20
15. Lewis HamiltonSource:Splash 15 of 20
16. Ndamukong SuhSource:Getty 16 of 20
17. Fernando AlonsoSource:Getty 17 of 20
18. Gareth BaleSource:Getty 18 of 20
19. Jon LesterSource:Getty 19 of 20
20. Derrick RoseSource:Getty 20 of 20
New Evidence In Murder Of Michael Jordan’s Father Could Reopen Trial was originally published on globalgrind.com