The beloved mother of Tupac Shakur, Afeni Shakur, has died at the age of 69.
The Marin County Sheriff’s Department in California confirmed Shakur died late last night [May 2nd].
Officials have not released a cause of death.
Born Alice Faye Williams in North Carolina, she lived between New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Georgia and California throughout her life. She changed her name to Afeni Shakur when she joined the Black Panther movement.
She and other party members were arrested in 1969 and charged with conspiracy to bomb multiple, busy city landmarks in a case where she defended herself (and was pregnant with Tupac at the time). In May 1971, she was acquitted on all charges and gave birth to ‘Pac just one month later.
After Tupac’s 1996 shooting death, Shakur took over the late rapper’s estate, which reportedly earns about $900,000 each year.
1. While at a hotel with his ex-wife, Keisha Morris, the room they were in caught fire. Reportedly, “Tupac was disappointed in her and told her he couldn’t trust her because she didn’t stay with him to fight the fire.”
1 of 19
2. Tupac bought Biggie Smalls his first Rolex.
2 of 19
3. His mom originally named him Lesane Parish Crooks.
3 of 19
4. Tupac’s mom, Afeni Shakur, was a Black Panther, in jail on bombing charges at the time of her pregnancy with the rapper.
4 of 19
5. Tupac was homeless when he first moved to California, living in different shelters for approximately two years.
5 of 19
6. Tupac was a really big fan of actor Jim Carrey.
6 of 19
7. Though Tupac is known for representing the West Coast, he was actually born on the East side of Harlem.
7 of 19
8. Tupac once cried after talking to Maya Angelou on the set of “Poetic Justice.”
8 of 19
9. During an altercation in 1993, Tupac shot two policemen – one in the leg and the other in the butt. Charges against the rapper were later dropped.
9 of 19
10. Tupac and Fredo Starr met at the premiere of “Sunset Park.”
10 of 19
11. Mike Dyson says that during Tupac’s final hours on Earth, “Vincent” by Don Maclean was played repetitively.
11 of 19
12. He and Jada Pinkett Smith once kissed to see if they had any chemistry – but according to Jada, “It had to be the most disgusting kiss for us both.”
12 of 19
13. Tupac spent 15 days in prison after punching “Menace II Society” director Allen Hughes in the face. He was later replaced by Lorenz Tate. Witnesses say it was more like Hughes was fighting 30 people, referring to Tupac’s entourage who was allegedly jumping him.
13 of 19
14. Pac was required to take an HIV test before doing love scenes with Janet Jackson in “Poetic Justice.”
14 of 19
15. When he died, he was engaged to actress Kidada Jones.
15 of 19
16. After he finished writing his legendary track “Dear Mama,” it is said that he called Jada Pinkett and told her, “I wrote this song about our mothers and I want you to hear it.”
16 of 19
17. Tupac got his last name from his stepfather, Mutulu Shakur.
17 of 19
18. While attending the Baltimore School for the Arts, he studied drama, took ballet classes, and rapped under the alias MC New York.
18 of 19
19. Tupac reportedly had sex with almost all of the women in his x-rated music video “How Do U Want It,” then passed out from exhaustion.
19 of 19
Continue reading Tupac’s Mother Afeni Shakur Dead At 69
21 Facts You Might Not Have Known About Tupac Shakur