Happy Birthday Heavy D, He Would Have Been 49 Today!
Heavy D was best known as a rapper, but he had a multi-faceted career that was broader than the scope of the average hip-hop artist.
1.) Hip-Hop Exec: Heavy D was the first rapper to become president of established record label, Uptown Records. Jay-Z made headlines when he was named president of Def Jam in 2005, but Heavy D took on the same role at Uptown in 1996.
2.) Uptown Upstart: The first act signed to Uptown Records was Heavy D & The Boyz, and their success paved the way for Mary J. Blige, Jodeci and Soul 4 Real on the record label. Heavy D’s talent helped transform owner Andre Harrell into a mogul.
3.) Rapper/Actor: In 1990, Heavy D made his move into the acting world and landed roles in both film and television. He was even seen in high profile movies like Be Cool (2005) and Tower Heist (2011).
4.) Commercial Checks: Before it was commonplace to see rappers as pitchmen in mainstream commercials, Heavy landed a very good look by doing a Sprite commercial. He undoubtedly paved the way for rappers to market themselves on a higher level.
5.) Ahead Of The Curve: Heavy D was one of first, if not the first, rappers to mention “cellular phone” in his lyrics.
25 Pics Of Your Favorite Hip-Pop Celebrities In 2005
1. Beyonce & Jay Z Kickin’ It In The Maybach.Source:GettyImages 1 of 23
2. In 2005, Rihanna & Teairra Mari were on the same playing field.Source:GettyImages 2 of 23
3. Pam Anderson & Christina AguileraSource:GettyImages 3 of 23
4. Don’t Chris Brown & Omarion Look Like Babies?Source:GettyImages 4 of 23
5. The Anthonys 10 Years Ago.5 of 23
6. 50 & The Game…When They Were Friends.Source:GettyImages 6 of 23
7. When The Kardashian Empire Was Just Being Formed.Source:GettyImages 7 of 23
8. Eva Pigford & Ray JSource:GettyImages 8 of 23
9. Alicia & Stevie Wonder To The Bullshit..Source:GettyImages 9 of 23
10. Fergie & Gabrielle UnionSource:GettyImages 10 of 23
11. Diddy & RussellSource:GettyImages 11 of 23
12. T-Pain, Akon, & Chris Brown At Spring Break.Source:GettyImages 12 of 23
13. Usher & MarioSource:GettyImages 13 of 23
14. J.Lo & Fat JoeSource:GettyImages 14 of 23
15. Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, & Nicky HiltonSource:GettyImages 15 of 23
16. Sisqo & UK pop star Samantha MumbaSource:GettyImages 16 of 23
17. Paris Hilton & Nicole RichieSource:GettyImages 17 of 23
18. Christina Milian & Nick CannonSource:GettyImages 18 of 23
19. Mariah & Terrence HowardSource:GettyImages 19 of 23
20. Pharrell & ShaySource:GettyImages 20 of 23
21. James Brown & Justin TimberlakeSource:GettyImages 21 of 23
22. Lil Wayne Performing At LeBron James’ 21st Birthday Party.Source:GettyImages 22 of 23
23. Gavin Rossdale, Gwen Stefani, Beyonce, & Jay ZSource:GettyImages 23 of 23