J.R. Smith is a NBA champion. Let that sink in.
J.R. has had a rocky NBA career as a Denver Nugget, and especially as a New York Knick. But as the New Jersey native made his way to the Cleveland Cavaliers two seasons ago, everything seemed to click.
Under the tutelage of LeBron James, J.R. has not only matured but has become a phenomenal role player. So after the historic win Sunday night, J.R.’s post-game press conference was one of the most emotional we’ve ever seen. While the victory means a lot to LeBron and to his city, it also represents all of the hardships that J.R. has overcome in order to hoist that Larry O’Brien Trophy.
As J.R. sat behind the mic, he poured his heart out, saying how much he appreciates his family, and with it being Father’s Day, he gave a special shout-out to his own father, Earl Smith, Jr.
While J.R. has been the subject of many jokes over the past few years due to his partying ways and bad-boy image, it’s nice to see him come out on top.
Read a transcript of J.R.’s speech below or watch the touching video up top.
SOURCE: The Huffington Post | IMAGE CREDIT: Getty
Baron Davis’ New Basketball Documentary Makes It To Showtime
LeBron James, Jr. Is Better Than You At Basketball
The Internet’s Best Reactions To The Cavaliers Winning The 2016 NBA Finals
Sex, Guns & Violence: The Biggest Scandals In NBA History
13 photos Launch gallery
1. Kobe Bryant Cheating and Rape Allegations
1 of 13
2. Nick Young Gets Put on Blast by D’Angelo Russell
2 of 13
3. Derek Fisher and Matt Barnes Fight Over a Woman
3 of 13
4. Malice at the Palace
4 of 13
5. Magic Johnson’s HIV Announcement
5 of 13
6. Allen Iverson Trespassing
6 of 13
7. Gilbert Arenas Brings a Gun to Practice
7 of 13
8. Delonte West Sleeping with LeBron’s Mom
8 of 13
9. Jordan’s Gambling Habit
9 of 13
10. Donald Sterling Is the Most Hated Man in America
10 of 13
11. Jason Kidd Allegedly Beat His Wife
11 of 13
12. Latrell Sprewell Choking His Coach
12 of 13
13. Tony Parker Sleeping With Teammate’s Wife
13 of 13