ABC’s Dancing With the Stars is supposedly a wholesome program that the entire family can partake in.
However, for one contestant, Normani Kordei, a member of mega-successful girl group Fifth Harmony, what goes on offline is anything but family-friendly.
On Monday’s live episode, the 20-year-old opened up about the vicious cyberbullying attacks she has endured.
She and partner Val Chmerkovsky performed an emotionally charged contemporary dance to “Freedom” by Anthony Hamilton and Elayna Boynton. The singer said the piece was “symbolic of times that I’ve felt helpless and desperate.”
“I got bullied terribly on social media. I did an interview. It was taken out of context completely and there were images. People were calling me the N word. It was really ugly,” Kordei said to People magazine. “It was every time I went online it’s ‘Oh, how much we hate you. How talentless you are.’ They actually made images of me being whipped, beaten, hung.”
She continued, “I shouldn’t want to change the color of my skin or texture of my hair or the fact that I’m a woman. I felt really alone. And just like everybody hated me.
“We all want to be loved. We all want to feel accepted, but when that doesn’t happen, then it just breaks you,” she admitted.
After her emotional contemporary number with Chmerkovsky, the singer hugged her partner as tears welled up in her eyes. Despite it all—blackgirlmagic prevailed and Kordei and Chmerkovsky were awarded a perfect score for the dance.
Happy Birthday, Prince: 20 Surprising Facts About The Purple One
1. Today Would Have Been Prince's 61st Birthday, We Are Honoring His LifeSource:Getty 1 of 21
2. Prince wrote his first song at age 7. He titled it “Funk Machine.”Source:false 2 of 21
3. As a child, Prince struggled with epilepsySource:Getty 3 of 21
4. Prince once sued Adobe Photoshop to prevent fans from altering his photos. Unfortunately, he lost.Source:false 4 of 21
5. Prince’s favorite meal was spaghetti and orange juice.Source:false 5 of 21
6. The “Purple Rain” soundtrack spent 24 weeks at number one on Billboard.Source:false 6 of 21
7. Michael Jackson’s “Bad” was supposed to be a duet with Prince.Source:false 7 of 21
8. Prince was a devout Jehovah’s Witness.Source:false 8 of 21
9. In 1980, when John Lennon was murdered, Prince was only a few blocks away.Source:false 9 of 21
10. Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks was supposed to write “Purple Rain,” but couldn’t handle the pressure.Source:false 10 of 21
11. Family and friends called Prince “Skipper” as a kid.Source:false 11 of 21
12. In 1984, Prince not only had the number one movie in the country, but also the number one single & album.Source:false 12 of 21
13. Despite his small stature, Prince was a remarkable basketball player.Source:false 13 of 21
14. Prince formed his first band when he was 13 years old.Source:false 14 of 21
15. In 2012, Prince dissed Maroon 5 for covering “Kiss.”Source:false 15 of 21
16. In 2013, Prince performed at “Star Wars” director George Lucas’ wedding.Source:false 16 of 21
17. The movie “Purple Rain” cost $7 million to make and grossed over $69 million.Source:false 17 of 21
18. Prince scrapped his 1987 album “The Black Album” just days before its release.Source:false 18 of 21
19. Prince penned The Bangles’ “Manic Monday” and Chaka Khan’s “I Feel For U.”Source:false 19 of 21
20. Prince’s dad once had a band called Prince Rogers Jazz Trio.Source:false 20 of 21
21. Prince sent Janelle Monae a singing telegram asking for a copy of her “The Electric Lady” album.Source:false 21 of 21
DWTS’ Normani Kordei Opens Up About Vicious Online Attacks was originally published on newsone.com