The Amber Alert may have gone silent but the desperate search continued on Monday for 3-year-old Sherin Mathews of Richardson, Texas, NBC News Dallas-Fort Worth reports.
She’s been missing since approximately 3 a.m. on Saturday when her father, Wesley Mathews, reportedly ordered her to stand next to a tree, located across an alley from their home, for not drinking her milk.
Mathews told investigators that he went outside to get Sherin about 15 minutes later, but the toddler was gone. Five hours later, he contacted the police.
At least one of his theories is that coyotes may have taken her. Investigators, however, said there’s no evidence that she was dragged away by animals or that she was forcibly abducted.
The police arrested Mathews on Saturday, and charged him with abandoning or endangering a child. Authorities released him on Sunday after he paid a $250,000 bond.
Sherin is about 3 feet tall and weighs 22 pounds. The toddler, who was adopted two years ago from an orphanage in India, has limited verbal skills because of developmental problems.
Officials said they could reissue the Amber Alert, which timed out, if there’s new information in the case.
According to FBI statistics, there were 88,040 active missing person records as of December 31, 2016. Children under the age of 18 accounted for 38.3 percent, or 33,706, of the cases at the end of last year.
SOURCE: NBC News Dallas-Fort Worth
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Search Continues For Missing 3-Year-Old Texas Girl Told To Stand Outside By Father was originally published on newsone.com